Employment Opportunity: Electronic Resources and Outreach Assistant
Electronic Resources and Outreach Assistant – Part Time
Reports to: Director
Pay Rate: $17 per hour
Date: September 2023
Description, How to Apply, and Contact:
Purpose of this position: This position is responsible for creating and implementing outreach
events/classes to highlight the library’s holdings, e-resources, and technology. The successful
applicant also runs and facilitates Adult programs and helps patrons with technology, readers
advisory, and reference inquiries.
Shift hours: Tuesday 1 to 9 pm, Friday 10 am to 5 pm, every other Saturday 10 am to 5 pm. Three
flexible hours per week. Total average weekly hours are 20.75.
- Provides technology and e-resource education and training to staff and patrons.
- Develops and conducts technology training; creates a technology tutoring or office hours program to educate library patrons.
- Provides informational assistance with print and electronic resources.
- Teaches patrons independent use of the OPAC for in-library and remote access.
- Helps patrons with computer, printer, and scanner use.
- Creates documents and/or guides to increase awareness of library services and resources.
- Supports the Library Director, Head of Youth Services, and Head of Teen and Adult Services by leading or assisting with programs for all ages, as needed.
- Recommends and enforces library policies and procedures.
- Compiles statistics and reports as pertains to their programming.
- Performs assigned shifts as a facility Supervisor on Duty.
- Opens and closes the library according to established procedures.
- Keeps current with library trends, issues, and technology.
- Responds to patron complaints and problems patiently and decisively.
- Respects the confidentiality of library users and records.
- This position is perfect for those who enjoy helping others use and learn different technologies.
- This position requires a four-year college degree.
- 2-5 years public library experience working with patrons of all ages preferred.
- Supervisory experience.
- Ability to create and implement programming and written guidelines that teach patrons how to use library offerings.
- Ability to empathize and relate to patrons and community needs; strong commitment to customer service.
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills.
- Must be able to travel to other locations to perform work, and/or attend work-related meetings, workshops or conferences.
- Community outreach experience preferred.
- STEM programing experience a plus.
- Employment is contingent upon the submission of the following: PA State Criminal History, PA Child Abuse History Clearance, FBI Criminal Background Check, and PA State Mandated Reporter Training.
- Ability to use hands to operate objects or controls.
- Ability to bend, sit, stoop, kneel and crouch.
- This job requires a clear speaking voice and good hearing.
- Mobility is required to travel to meetings outside the library.
- Ability to push and pull library book trucks weighing 100-300 lbs. and carry up to 10 lbs. of books across the library
- Ability to stand for a long time in one area.
- Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and office equipment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to focus.
General Requirements for All Library Employees:
- Ability to project professional workplace image of specific job title.
- Ability to learn new computer skills, programs and interfaces.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships.
- Ability to comprehend and follow library policies and procedures.
- Ability to develop an awareness of library-wide operations.
- Ability to meet physical requirements of specific job title.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of
activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties,
responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
To apply, please email resume and cover letter to:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis
of qualifications, merit and library need.