Graphic Novel Contest
Create your own graphic novel and submit it for a prize in our first annual Graphic Novel Contest! This contest is open to students in grades 3-8. Participants can work by themselves or in author/illustrator pairs. Additional guidance on how to create a graphic novel can be found in Beanstack.
Rules & Instructions
- Open to Huntingdon Valley Library patrons in grades 3-8.
- Participants may write/draw a story on their own OR in pairs (pairs can either work with one author & one illustrator or share the writing/drawing duties). Students working in pairs must be in the same grade group (see Judging section below for grade groups).
- One entry per student.
- Stories must be original and can be on any subject.
- All illustrations must be original and hand-drawn. No digital or internet-generated pictures will be eligible for prizes.
- Use 8 ½ x 11 paper only. Leave at least a 1-inch margin on both sides of each page, including the cover (for binding purposes). Do not use staples. Number the pages.
- Use non-smear markers, crayons, or colored pencils for illustrations.
- Include a title page with the title of the story, author/illustrator’s name(s), age(s), grade(s), and school(s). Please keep in mind that this page will be included in the copy bound for the library if you win. Feel free to use first or last name initials if you are uncomfortable with the student’s whole name on the title page.
- On a separate page, entries MUST include the author/illustrator’s name(s), the name(s) of a guardian, phone number(s), address(es), and email address(es). This information is for contact use only and will not be public.
- OPTIONAL – Accompanying Graphic Novel Challenge in Beanstack provides suggested graphic novel book lists and guidance on how to create a graphic novel. Available at hvlibrary.beanstack.org or through the Beanstack app (search for Huntingdon Valley Library).
- DEADLINE – All entries must be submitted to the library by 4 pm on Friday, April 2.
- First, second, and third place winners may by chosen for each grade group.
- Grade groups are 3rd/4th, 5th/6th, and 7th/8th.
- Award categories are Best Story and Best Art.
- First place entries (for all grade groups and categories) will be bound into one volume and entered into the library’s permanent collection.
- First place winners in both categories will receive a spiral-bound copy of their graphic novel. The same student(s) may win in both categories, but if this happens, each student will only receive one bound copy of their story.
- All winners will receive a small prize.
- All entrants will receive a certificate of participation.
Thank you to the Friends of Huntingdon Valley Library for sponsoring this contest!
Print out the Graphic Novel Contest Info Sheet that includes the rules and instructions above.