About HVL > FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions
Quick and easy answers to questions about the library.
- How do I receive a library card?
- Are you a free library?
- How long do materials circulate?
- Can I renew my library materials?
- How much are overdue fines?
- What should I do if I’ve lost an item?
- What are the library’s hours?
- How can I volunteer at the library?
- Who are the Friends of the Library?
- How do I get to the library?
How do I receive a library card?
Adults or Business Owners must present a valid Lower Moreland Township address. Children under age 18 must have the signature of a parent/guardian who will be financially responsible for materials borrowed on the child’s card. Montgomery County residents who do not have a home library in their township or borough may apply for a Montgomery County – Norristown library card.
Find out more about how to Apply for a Library Card.
Yes, we are a free library. However, we do charge fines for borrowed materials not returned to us by their due date.
How long do materials circulate?
- Books : Three (3) weeks
- Music CDs: Three (3) weeks
- Audiobooks, and DVD Series: Three (3) weeks
- Magazines: One (1) week
- DVDs and Videogames: Three (3) weeks (DVD limit of 8 per household)
- Playaway Views and LaunchPads: One (1) week (limit of one (1) View per household; limit of one (1) LaunchPad per household)
Can I renew my library materials?
Any item may be renewed for one to two additional loan periods, depending on the item, provided there are no reserves or holds on the item. This policy applies to items owned by the Huntingdon Valley Library – other libraries in MCLINC may have differing renewal limits. You can renew items by phone, in person or from home through the online catalog.
How much are overdue fines?
- Adult & Young Adult Books : 20 cents per day
- Children’s Books: 10 cents per day
- Parent/Teacher Books: 20 cents per day
- Music CDs: 20 cents per day
- Adult Talking Books: 20 cents per day
- Children’s Talking Books: 10 cents per day
- Adult Magazines: 20 cents per day
- Children’s Magazines: 10 cents per day
- DVDs and Videogames: 20 cents per day
- Playaway Views and LaunchPads: $1 per item per day
- Museum passes: $5 per day
What should I do if I’ve lost an item?
If you’ve lost an item, please notify a staff member at the Circulation Desk.
The charges for lost items are:
- Library card: $2.00
- Library barcode: $2.50
- Library materials: Replacement cost of item + $5.00 processing fee
The library will use the replacement cost and processing fee to purchase a new copy from our supplier. We do not accept ‘in kind’ donations of new or used books in place of lost items.
If you find a lost item after it has been paid for, the item belongs to you. We do not provide refunds.
What are the library’s (regular) hours? (varies in summer)
Monday – Thursday: 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Friday – Saturday: 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Sunday during the school year: 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
How can I volunteer at the library?
One of the greatest assets the Huntingdon Valley Public Library can boast is our volunteers. Our volunteers are essential in helping the library run smoothly and efficiently. Volunteering at the library is also a great way to get connected to your community.
If you would like to contribute your talents and skills as a volunteer please call us at (215) 947-5138 or ask at the Circulation Desk for more information.
HVL Volunteer Application (.pdf)
Who are the Friends of the Library?
The Friends are a non-profit organization founded to help support and promote activities and services of the Huntingdon Valley Public Library. The Friends provide funding for many of the children’s programs and activities, for the Summer Reading Program, and for special purchases, such as databases and eBooks. They hold a membership drive and are always seeking new fundraising, promotional and programming ideas.
Learn more about the Friends and all they do!
Click here for a map to the Library.