Employment Opportunity: Part-Time Library Assistant
Part-Time Library Assistant
Description, How to Apply, and Contact:
The Huntingdon Valley Library, located in Huntingdon Valley, PA, seeks a part-time Library Assistant. The circulation desk is often the primary service point for library patrons, so strong customer service and technical skills in a busy environment are required. Responsibilities include assisting patrons with the use of the library by checking out materials, answering questions about patron accounts, and generally assisting patrons with the use of library services and the facility. This is a very active and physical position. When the circulation desk is not busy, the Library Assistant will perform other tasks in support of library operations as directed by the supervisor. For more details, refer to the complete job description.
New employees are required to have a current Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance, PA State Police Criminal Record Check, and FBI Background check. Employment is contingent upon completion of the PA State Mandated Reporter Training within 60 days of hire.
The shift for this position is Monday 9:30am-1:30pm, Tuesday 10am-1pm, Thursday 10am-1pm, Friday 10am-1pm and alternating Sundays 1pm-5pm.
High school diploma required, some college preferred. General knowledge of library principles and practices preferred. Strong computer, positive customer service, organizational, and cash handling skills are essential.
To apply, submit resume and cover letter to:
Mr. Sam Pharo, Assistant Director
Huntingdon Valley Library
625 Red Lion Road
Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006
Or by email in PDF form to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hourly Wage: $12.00/hr
Library Assistant Job Description (.pdf):
Position: Part-Time Library Assistant
Reports to: Assistant Director
Primary Function: Performs a variety of library circulation and clerical procedures with a heavy concentration of public contact and computer use.
This is a 15 hour average per week position. The shifts for this position are: Monday 9:30am-1:30pm, Tuesday 10am-1pm, Thursday 10am-1pm, Friday 10am-1pm and alternating Sundays 1pm – 5pm.
- Performs all circulation desk duties using the automated Polaris Integrated Library System, including:
- Checks materials in/out/renews in accordance to Library policies and procedures
- Effectively searches for and reserves materials for patrons
- Issues new patron cards and updates accounts
- Assists with locating, routing, and preparing “hold” materials for patrons
- Communicates courteously with patrons about their fines and fees, collects payment and makes correct change as needed using a cash register
- Performs all opening/closing procedures in work and public areas
- Assists patrons with using and troubleshooting library online resources and databases on their mobile devices and laptop computers
- Maintain and troubleshoot library equipment, such as photocopiers and computers
- Answers phone and routes calls as necessary in a friendly and professional manner
- Assists with library programs and displays; program registrations
- Shelves materials and shelf-reads, maintaining collection in alphabetical and/or Dewey Decimal order
- Performs other duties as assigned in other areas as assigned
- High school diploma required, some college preferred
- A commitment to quality customer service
- Strong computer skills
- A general knowledge of library principles
- Experience working with individuals of all ages
- Knowledge of a variety of fiction and non-fiction literature preferred
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the library, including working evening and weekend hours
- The physical demands to perform this job are the ability to talk and hear, use hands to handle, feel or operate objects or controls, sit, stoop, kneel, reach, crouch, and lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Ability to push and pull library book trucks weighing 100-300 lbs. and carry up to 15 lbs. of books across the library
- Ability to stand for a long time in one area
- Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and office equipment
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to focus
- Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform this position
General Requirements for All Library Employees
- Ability to project professional workplace image of specific job title
- Ability to learn new computer skills, programs and interfaces
- Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships
- Ability to comprehend and follow library policies and procedures
- Ability to develop an awareness of library-wide operations
- Ability to meet physical requirements of specific job title
- Ability to provide the following:
- Pennsylvania State Police Request for Criminal Records Check
- Department of Public Welfare Child Abuse History Clearance
- Federal Criminal History Record Information
- Completion of the PA State Mandated Reporter Training.