Youth Services – Teens
Events for Teens:
HVL Fall Reading Challenge – Now Open!
Join us for our Fall Reading Challenge, beginning on September 21 and running through December 6. Register and participate using our Beanstack site or search Huntingdon Valley Library on the Beanstack app. Log your reading and you could win prizes. It’s that easy! Similar to the Summer Learning Program, there is a teen-specific reading challenge with optional activities, review-writing opportunities, badges, and plenty of tickets to be earned. We can’t wait to see you on Beanstack starting September 21!
Fall Events for Students in Grades 6-12
Grab-N-Go DIY Kits and DIY Teens Virtual Meet-Ups
Grab-N-Go Kits include materials and instructions for the completion of a creative project. Registration is required for all kits and will open one month before kit distribution begins. To accompany each Grab-N-Go Kit, there will be an optional (but highly encouraged!) DIY Teens Virtual Meet-Up. Meet-ups take place on Zoom and allow us to get together virtually to go over the project and work alongside each other as group to ask questions, share progress, and chat while we create. Meet-Ups require a separate event registration.
- DIY Teens Virtual Meet-Up – Thursday, October 1 at 7pm – Register Here
Week of November 2 – LED Flashlight Keychains
- DIY Teens Virtual Meet-Up – Thursday, November 5 at 7pm – Register Here
Week of November 30 – Hydro Dipped Mugs
- DIY Teens Virtual Meet-Up – Thursday, December 3 at 7pm – Register Here
Join us using Zoom and Kahoot to compete against eachother in our live trivia events! Registration is required for all events.
- Thursday, October 29 at 7pm – Supernatural Creatures in Books & Movies (Plus costume contest!)
- Thursday, November 19 at 7pm – Superheroes & Supervillains
- Tuesday, December 22 at 6:30 – Join up with adults and kids for all ages Harry Potter Trivia!
Thursday, October 22 at 7pm – Register Here Get ready to throw down for the ultimate Creepy Cupcake battle! Participants in this program will pick up their kit of cake mix and secret decorating materials before the event. Then we will meet via Zoom in our respective kitchens, when competitors will open their boxes, the theme for our Cupcake War will be revealed, and the battle begins!
Teen Advisory Board
The Teen Advisory Board is Huntingdon Valley Library’s group of youth advisors in grades 9-12. T.A.B. meets with library staff once a month to brainstorm ideas, prepare for events, and work on creative projects that improve our library, all while earning service hours! To join T.A.B., or for more information, please contact Beth at email@example.com. All fall and winter meetings will be held virtually through Zoom.
Fall T.A.B. Meetings
- Friday, September 25 at 3:30
- Friday, October 16 at 3:30
- Friday, November 13 at 3:30
- Friday, December 11 at 3:30
For students in grades 9-12.
Resources for Tough Topics
Please visit our resource page for information and support in educating yourself about difficult topics such as racism, sexual orientation, gender identity, mental health, and domestic violence. Resources for Tough Topics
HVLTeens on YouTube
Visit the HVLTeens YouTube channel for book recommendations and DIY project ideas and tutorials.
YA Book Recommendations – Saturday, Sep 19 – For Talk Like a Pirate Day, this video highlights several great sea-faring adventure books from our young adult collection.
Self Care BINGO for Teens
Teens and young adults, remember to take care of yourselves during this difficult time. Use the new Self Care BINGO Sheet to make sure you are paying attention to your needs. Feel free to print one out and use it to keep track of a healthy, well-rounded week.
Online Resources for Teens
Still need a Huntingdon Valley library card so you can access the following e-resources? You can apply online.
The easiest way to access eBooks from the Montgomery County Library District Digital Collection! Online help
Hoopla is great for audiobooks, comics and graphic novels, Ebooks, music, movies, and shows. During this time borrows have been increased to 5 per month, so enjoy!
- eReading – Check this page out for additional e-resources available to you.
- Research – Need help with a topic for school? Visit our Research page to access research and learning tools such as Learning Express Library, Power Library, Ask Here PA, and Mango Languages.
- POWER Teens – Power Library now has an online resource page just for you!