May 2019 Calendar of Events
Hot off the presses – the May calendar of events full of music, genealogy, safe driving, movies, and a little gardening. Download a copy of the May 2019 calendar today.
We will be closed for the Memorial Day Weekend – May 25 to May 27.
Storytime will be on break while the children’s department gets ready for the Summer Reading program, but we invite you to…
Pennsylvania’s One Book, Every Young Child
This year, young readers across Pennsylvania will be introduced to two books as part of the 2019 Pennsylvania One Book early literacy program. In May we will be celebrating this year’s selections:
Join us on May 10 at 10:30 am for a special storytime featuring Barnyard Banter to celebrate literacy and young children ages birth to 3. Children will receive a new copy of the book to keep, so registration is required for each child.
On May 13 at 6 pm, children ages 3-5 are invited for the Not a Box storytime. Again, children will receive a new copy of the book to keep, so registration is required. We are excited to partner with libraries across the state to promote early literacy and love of reading.
Do you have a child in grades 1 to 5 with an interest in technology? Come to a 3D printing demo on Wednesday, May 15 at 4:15 pm. Steve from H&F Prototyping will demonstrate this amazing new technology! Registration is required.
New this year – Piano Junior on Tuesdays in May from 10:30 to 11:15 am. Fun, educational, high-energy introduction to music and piano for children ages 2 to 6, with a caregiver. Registration is required.
Sign up for GSK Science in the Summer begins Friday, May 17 at noon. More info.
- Chair Yoga with Nadene! Tuesday mornings at 10:30 am from May 7 to June 11. This will be held in the Red Lion Gym, so dress accordingly.
- Course cost: Discounted price of $35 for 6-week session or $7 per class, drop-in. Payment due first day of class.
- Class size: Minimum of 10 needed to proceed with class – Register today!
- Socrates Cafe for a lively discussion on current events on Wed., May 15 at 10:30 am.
- AARP Safe Driving refresher course on Saturday, May 11 at 10:30 am – registration is required and payment can be made to AARP the day of class. Please bring your AARP card for a $5 discount.
- AARP 2-day Diver Safety course on Thursday, May 16 and Friday, May 17 at 10:30 am. Learn more and register today!
- Allen Male from the Old York Road Genealogical Society is returning for a 3-part course on Basic Genealogy starting Tuesday, May 21 at 7 pm. Learn more and register today!
- Our own Alice Turman will lead a basic gardening course on Saturday, May 19 at 1 pm. Create a Small Culinary Herb Garden. Class size is limited, so register today! Plant a container with 5-6 popular herbs. Container, soil, herbs and hands-on-help provided. Cost $20.00 per person.
- Fans of French Cinema – movies on Thursdays at 4 pm
- May 2 Purple Noon
- May 16 Coco Before Chanel
- May 23 Lola
- May 30 Midnight in Paris
- All movies shown in French with English Sub-titles
- Friday Movies – every Friday at 11 am.
- May 3 The Favourite
- May 10 Green Book
- May 17 The Mule
- May 24 Vice
- May 31 A Dogs Way Home
- All Movies are Free Open to All
- Middle School STEAMers on Friday, May 10 at 3:30 pm – Crime Scene Investigation
- Young Adult Book Club on Friday, May 31 at 3:30 pm – The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
A Universe of Stories – Summer Reading 2019
We will get ready for Summer Reading this year with a special visit by Albert Einstein (as portrayed by William Agress) on Thursday, June 20 at 7 pm for adults and older children with parents. Learn more and RSVP.
Summer Reading events for children and teens begins Monday, June 24 and we invite you to join us for our kick-off Family Program on Wednesday, June 26 at 7 pm for:
Franklin Institute’s Traveling Science Show: Summer READS.
It’s time for liftoff like its 1969! Embark on a trip to the Moon and explore the scientific and engineering challenges of getting to space, living and working in orbit, and safely returning to Earth as we celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Moon landing.
Be on the look out for online registration – new this year!