Genealogy Classes begin October 2
Allen Male from the Old York Road Genealogical Society will lead a series of genealogy classes beginning October 2 at the Library. You are invited to join us to delve into your own family’s story and history.
Class Dates: Tuesday, October 2, 16, and 30.
Class Time: 7:00 to 9:00 p.m.
Location: Friends Learning Lab, 1st Floor, HV Library (625 Red Lion Rd)
Allen’s goal for the class is for participants “To be able to do basic genealogy research using a variety of sources and sound research techniques.”
The course will be at an appropriate level for beginning researchers and persons without prior genealogical experience. It would be helpful if participants are comfortable using computers to access the internet.
Course content will include:
- Locating appropriate information sources and recording information on personal ancestors from a variety of sources such as:
- Family member knowledge
- U.S. census reports
- City directories
- Historical Newspapers
- Immigrant passenger records and border crossings
- Cemetery markers
- Vital records
- Family bible records
- Military service records and pension applications
- Saving information using both computers and manual techniques (pencil and paper).
- Evaluating source information and resolving conflicts.
- Documenting and citing sources.
- I expect that we will also touch on these topics:
- Genealogy Standards
- Genealogy proof standard
- Published and unpublished records
The course will include generous handouts to minimize the need for note taking.