A Matter of Balance 8-week Course
A Matter of Balance: Managing Concerns About Falls
Provided by: Montgomery County Health Department in the Friends Learning Lab of the Huntingdon Valley Library
Coaches: Pat Fallon, Master Trainer and Cory McGinn, Coach
This 8-week course is an award-winning program designed to reduce the fear of falling and increase the activity level of older adults who have concerns about falls. The course consists of 8, two-hour sessions taught by trained volunteer Matter of Balance coaches. We will meet once a week for 8 weeks. The class is limited to 15 participants, but we will have a wait list and the possibility to schedule a second class. Registration is a commitment to attend all 8 classes, as they build upon one another.
The course is open to anyone:
- concerned about falls
- interested in improving balance, flexibility and strength
- who has fallen in the past
- who has restricted activities because of falling concerns
- who is age 60 or older, ambulatory and able to problem-solve
The program also includes a free visual screening, home safety information, and prescription medication misuse presentation.
For more information, please contact Pat Fallon: 610-278-5117 x 6782 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Course Schedule – all courses are on Thursdays from 1:30 to 3:30 pm in the Friends Learning Lab (1st floor).
NOTE: Registration is required, class size is limited to 15. Register at the March 2 posting. There is a wait list, as well.
- March 2 – Introduction to the program
- March 9 – Exploring thoughts and concerns about falling
- March 16 – Exercise and fall prevention
- March 23 – Assertiveness and fall prevention
- March 31 – Managing concerns about falls
- April 6 – Recognizing fall-ty habits
- April 13 – Recognizing fall hazards in the home and community
- April 20 – Practicing no fall-ty habits fall prevention: Putting it all together